Read the above link first… or here is summary:
12 year old Daughter visits dad, daughter sends friend a rude/inappropriate text, dad sees text and takes away phone as punishment, daughter cries to mother, mother calls police to retrieve phone, father refuses to give police phone, father is charged with theft and over 2 years later found not guilty, father “loses” daughter. Notable mentions: mother is married to cop. According to mother, Father was not “in” daughters life until she was 7.
Now my reaction/response to what I read in this article (and others, I read 8-10 articles on this story, to get as many “sides” as possible). There is likely more to this story, but from what I read, this is my opinion.
Quotes from the linked article:
1. “As a mom, I’m upset because — number one — the property belongs to me,” (mother)
– You stupid twat, you should be upset because, number one, your 12 year old daughter is sending inappropriate texts!!! Act like a parent, NOT a childish C*&% who cares more about a phone and vengeance than her own child.
2. “You can’t take someone’s property, regardless if you’re a parent or not,” (mother)
-Oh yes you fucking can! Let me tell you, I would have done the exact same thing! Daughter sending or posting inappropriate things, buh-bye phone, as well as all other electronics!! No more computer access, tablet, whatever, all gone until things are worked out and cleared up(could be later that day, could be next month)! Now in MY case, I pay for ALL of my daughters things, but even if the deadbeat was paying for her phone, I would still take it! And hypothetically, if he were in her life, I would expect him to do the same!
3. “At that point, I decided the police don’t interfere with my ability to parent my daughter,” (father)
– GOOD!!! Unless you are abusing or neglecting your daughter, the police should stay the fuck out of it.
4. “During the two-day trial, Jackson’s daughter, now 15, took the stand and testified about her father taking her phone.
“It was the last thing as a mother I wanted my daughter to go through,” Steppe says. “I’m always here for my kids.””
– If this was in fact the last thing you wanted your daughter to go through, YOU would NOT HAVE PUT HER THROUGH IT!!!!
5. “officers made several unsuccessful attempts to return the property to its owner.”
– You may not get this from the article, but what they mean is the officers made several attempts to retrieve the phone from the father.
Ideally the mother should have phoned, visited or emailed the father directly (or vice versa), and discussed the incident like responsible parents, but instead she simply called the police to retrieve her phone! There is a good chance the daughter would have gotten her phone back after it being taken away for a week or 2, as that is what punishments typically are, but instead of just waiting a week or talking to the father, the mother instantly called the police. The mother is obviously a vindictive moron who has done this out of spite! She doesn’t actually care about the phone (or her daughter) she just wanted to “hurt” the father. I am not condoning him not returning the phone, this may had ended much sooner if he had, but he had a right to “punish” his daughter and the police should NEVER had been called.
6. “Jackson says the ordeal has permanently ended any chances to have a relationship with his daughter”. (father)
– I hate to say it, but some of it is his fault. Yes I believe, in this situation (In my opinion), that the mother is mostly to blame as she seems to be malicious, but had the father simply given the phone to police this may have not been blown so much out of proportion … or would it? Would she simply have found another reason to eliminate him from the daughters life…?
So Good, I am glad he was found not guilty! I am glad he stood his ground, although, in the end, it cost him a relationship with his daughter. Someday, I hope the daughter grows up to realize that her father was simply trying to teach her a lesson in his own senseless, stubborn way, where-as the mother was being a hateful trouble maker. The mother should be charged for wasting so much of the courts time and resources.
End opinion … they are both idiots.